Successful Small-Scale Farming: An Organic Approach |
by Karl Schwenke (Author)
This inspiring handbook contains everything small-farm owners need to know, from
buying land to organic growing methods and selling cash crops.
From the Back Cover
When I first wrote Successful Small-Scale Farming eleven years ago, writes Karl
Schwenke in the preface to this new edition, "an 'organic farmer' was synonymous
with a 'lonely hippie troublemaker.' Today he is classed somewhere between a
high-priced elitist and an opportunistic liar."
So begins this classic guide to organic small-scale agriculture, fully updated
and revised for the 1990s -- for a new generation of readers who would like to
live closer to the earth.
Successful Small-Scale Farming introduces anyone owning (or planning to own) a
small farm to both the harsh realities and the real potential involved in making
a full- or part-time living on the land. Karl Schwenke's clear-eyed approach to
the best farming methods covers a wide range of proven techniques and practical
* How to improve, conserve, and enrich your soil organically, to ensure the
highest (and healthiest) yields.
* What machinery you'll need and how to use it.
* The best "cash crops" and specialty crops to grow for profit and how to raise
* How to use innovative strategies to find or create a market "niche" for your
farm's crops or services.
* A concise overview of essential farmstead skills, such as haying, fencing, and
managing a woodlot.
* Numerous charts and tables that put useful calculations at your fingertips.
With today's increased concern for the quality of the food we eat and the health
of our environment, Successful Small-Scale Farming offers a unique and
invaluable perspective on the future of agriculture. Karl Schwenke's message --
that small-scale farms can be cleaner, smarter, and more efficient than
corporate agribusiness -- has never been so relevant as it is today.
Paperback: 144 pages
Publisher: Storey Publishing, LLC; 2 edition (January 4, 1991)